free logo design

Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Gluten-Free/ Vegan Delicious Banana Applesauce Muffins

I just made my favorite applesauce muffins and tried a new flour.  For those of you new to gluten-free living, it's best to use a staple recipe when you try new flours and flour blends.  The reason is, you can start to get a feel for the textures of flours.  For example, rice flour leaves a grainy texture.  Not so great, but you can do a couple things to remedy that:  you can soak the rice flour in whatever liquid you're using to bake, or you can add some flours to the mix that will balance it out.  Starches are the best for this.  Tapioca and potato starch are nice and delicate for things like cakes, while cornstarch is a happy everyday starch to gluten free flour blends.

Now, before I go too far on a tangent, let me get to the point:  I tried a new flour blend and I am thrilled by the results.  I used Arrowhead Mills Organic Gluten Free Flour Mix, (pictured at the left,) and what I got was fluffy, light and delicious muffins.  Oh my goodness!  They are/were yummy!
Now I happened upon this glorious flour blend at my local dollar store and got a bunch of bags for $1.49 each.  That is a steal of a price.  To be fair, I think for special occasions, I may even  pay full price for these answers to my gluten-free prayers.  (The shock!)

So to let you know how I did this:

Applesauce Banana Muffins

Preheat oven to 400 degrees
  • 1 1/2 cups Arrowhead Organic Gluten-Free Goodness Yummy Yum flour
  • 1/2 cup honey
  • 1/2 t. baking soda
  • 1/4 t. sea salt
  • 1 t. cinnamon
  • 1/2 t. nutmeg
  • 3/4 cup mashed banana
  • 2 Tbl flaxseed meal
  • 6 Tbl water
  • 1/4 cup applesauce
Throw them all together in a medium to large bowl.  Mix it up good.  Add whatever you want, craisins, raisins, chopped up dates or prunes.  Divide them evenly into a greased muffin pan.  Bake at 400 degrees for 15-20 minutes.  Keep an eye on them to see how they're doing around 15 minutes.  They'll be glorious golden brown puffballs of muffin happiness when you're finished.  (And I aint' just whistling Dixie...What exactly does that mean, anyway?)


The flour blend has a hint of vanilla, and actually started puffing up and rising in the bowl when I walked away from it for a few minutes!  Amazing!  Seriously, these things are healthy and don't taste it.
Apples

No comments:

Post a Comment